Friday, March 18, 2011

A Special Wake Her Up

In some cultures, food is one of the most common ways of expressing love. Take Mexico for example; you’ve probably heard it said that when traveling in Mexico you should never reject food that’s offered to you. Why is that? Because you’ll insult them, that’s why.

Mexicans make a big deal of sitting down together and eating. To have a guest in your home, and not offer them anything to eat is almost like saying, “I don’t like you.” They show their love by feeding you, and even more so, by feeding you better than they eat themselves. I’ve been in more than one Mexican home, where they fed me steak, and they ate beans. As an American, I felt guilty, but knowing the Mexican people, I couldn’t insult them by refusing what they offered me.

One time, while I was staying with a fairly well off family, the woman of the house asked me what my favorite meat was. Thinking it would be a “safe” answer, and that there was no way she was going to find it, I responded, “deer.” Well, guess what she did? She went out and bought some venison for dinner that night.

Okay, we’re not going to get that exotic. How about if we stick to something a little simpler, like pastry. Now, I’m sure you’ve got a favorite pastry and so does your wife. All you have to do is get up early, go to your favorite bakery and buy that pastry for your wife. When she gets up to have her morning coffee (or tea), there it will be, waiting for her.

She’s going to know where it came from and that you made a special effort to get up and go out to pick it up for her. Of course, you could pick it up the night before, and just keep it hidden until morning, but it won’t be quite as fresh that way.

While you’re at it, you may as well pick up one for yourself; that way you can share the time together. Besides, that’ll keep you from being tempted to eat hers on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment