Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Give her a Break


Do you have one of those highly repetitive jobs? I’m sure you know what I’m talking about, even if your job doesn’t fall into that category. There are just some types of jobs, where it seems that the people do the same thing over and over again, all day long, day in and day out. I don’t know about you, but that type of thing would drive me nuts. I need variety in my work.

Being a wife and mother has a lot in common with that sort of job. The same work needs to be done over and over again; the same dishes need to be cleaned, the same floor has to be mopped and the same clothes need to be washed that were washed last week. Not only is it repetitive, but it seems that everything that you do, has to be done over and over again. Sounds just like that repetitive job, or maybe even a little bit worse.

The worse part of any job is when you aren’t appreciated for it. The person who comes up with a way of saving the company a million dollars might get a little appreciation; likewise the sales person who landed the huge contract, but the one who does that repetitive job? No way.

I don’t know about you, but I appreciate what my wife does for me and my family. All those boring daily chores which have to be done make a difference; even if we can’t always see that difference. I’ve had to do all that stuff, so I know what things are like when she doesn’t do them.

Women say that one of the most romantic things that their husbands can do for them is to take over some of that work and give them a break. That’s right, it’s not buying flowers or writing a love letter (although those are always appreciated as well), but washing the dishes, vacuuming the living room or doing the laundry.

How can it be that those things are romantic? It’s really rather simple. Romance is all about telling the other person that they are valuable to you. So, when you take over those jobs, you’re saying to her, “you are important, because what you do is important.” It’s showing that you appreciate what she does in a very tangible way.

So, when was the last time you washed the dishes? When did you vacuum the carpet for her? How about getting down and dirty to clean the bathroom, have you done that recently? Well, I guarantee you; taking the time to do any of those things won’t make you turn in your man card. Instead, you might just manage to make your wife feel that you really do love and appreciate her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment