Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Make Her a Gift

Remember back when we were little kiddies? Every Mother’s Day we’d make some sort of little gift for our moms. We never bought Birthday or Christmas cards, but instead we got out the glue and construction paper to make a “special” card. Looking back, our great creations might not seem to be such artistic masterpieces, but to those who received them, they were special.

Somewhere along the way we’ve lost that joy in making something with our own hands. Instead, we spend piles of money, trying to impress the person with the cost of the gift. But, you know, there’s still something special, almost magical, about a hand made gift.

A gift made by the giver is more than a gift; it’s a piece of the heart. Even though it may not seem as fancy as something bough in a department store, it’s always there saying, “I was made just for you.”

Day 32 – When we moved into our home last year, my wife wanted some planters to go on the wall around the porch. I could have gone out and found something for her at the local nursery, but instead, I went out to my workshop and made them. Not only do they match the house better, but my wife has a reminder of my love, each and every time she waters those flowers. She still has the “Happy Unbirthday” card I put with them, hanging on her bulletin board, by her desk.


So, what’s your skill? What do you know how to make? I’m not asking what you know how to make like a professional; if we wait to be that good, we’ll never make anything. Maybe it’s something that has been a hobby of yours, but you haven’t done for several years. That doesn’t mean you don’t know how to do it, you still can. If nothing else, dig out the construction paper and glue and make her an “I Love You” card. Put your skills to work, making gifts for your wife. I guarantee you; it’ll be something special to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment