Monday, December 27, 2010

Sending “I Love You” in a Thousand Ways

You know, I’ve heard some scary statistics about how the advent of the Internet has destroyed many marriages. Basically, what they say is that some people, specifically some men, spend so much time on the Internet, that they don’t communicate with their wives as much as they did before having access to the Internet.

Then, on top of that, there’s the cell phone. Recent ads for the “Windows Phone” say, “It’s time for a cell phone to rescue us from our cell phones.” Why would they say that? Because some people spend so much time on their phones, that they have trouble communicating with people off of their phones.

It seems that all this technology we have at our fingertips is changing the way we communicate. The problem is that it’s all “light” communication, instead of communication that really means anything. C’mon now, have you really seen what people post of facebook? I don’t know about you, but for me, most of it is stuff I can easily do without. I really don’t need my friends to tell me they’re at work on Monday morning; it’s Monday, of course they’re at work.

Day 66 – Wouldn’t it be great if we could use all this technology to communicate our love for our wives, instead of taking us away from them? Since a good percentage of it is communications related, there must be some way to really communicate something worthwhile with it.

Let’s take text messaging for example. It seems to me that text messaging is a great way to send “I Love You” messages to our wives at work, without getting the boss mad at all the private phone calls. After all, if kids can do it in class, why can’t we do it at work?

Now, let me clarify something here. I’m not advocating robbing time from your employer by spending all your work time sending text messages. I’ve seen some pretty bad statistics on how much time is wasted in the average day by sending text messages. So, if I was an employer, I think I’d probably have to put some pretty strict rules in place about cell phone use, and especially texting in the workplace. But, you have break times, and you can text her on those.

Okay, let me get back on track here. One of the great things about text messages is that the recipient doesn’t have to read them immediately, but can wait till they have a break to do so. I keep in contact with my kids at school this way. If I need to contact them, I text them, and they get the message during their passing period. Guess what? I can do that with my wife as well.

Now all we need is a little imagination on our messages. Here’s where texting really helps us. I’ve noticed that for some reason, people aren’t embarrassed about saying things in a text message that they would be embarrassed to say in person. They can say the mushiest, corniest, most ridiculous things, and because it’s a text message, they don’t feel embarrassed. So, why not utilize that emotional freedom, let your imagination run free and send her some really mushy romantic things? She’d love to receive those text messages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment